Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers that Rabbits won't eat

Posted by jordanz 8A (Mojave Desert) (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 18:32

Last year our front yard go ravaged by rabbits. Pretty much every flower was eaten. We don't want to put a fence in our front yard. I tried the deterrent spray (that smells like nasty fox urine), and that didn't seem to work.

What kind of flowers can I get that a jack rabbit or cotton tail rabbit will not eat? We live in the desert, where it gets up to 115deg in the summer, so they definitely need to be heat tolerant. They are irrigated, and will get watered every other morning, so moisture shouldn't be a problem. I just want something that is known to not attract rabbits please! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers that Rabbits won't eat

• Posted by jordanz 8A (Mojave Desert) (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 11:45

Wow, no ideas anybody?

o

I live in the same conditions and challenges as you. They dont eat lavender or lantana or butterfly bush or desert marigold. Surprisingly though they will eat a young pyracantha! To save my pyracantha and some regular marigolds I put those wooden scewers in the ground all around my plant. So far, so good!

o

Here's a hopefully helpful link for your neck of the woods.

From person experience, they do not eat the following:
Daisies (Shasta)
Echinacea
Rudbeckia
Speedwell (Veronica)
Salvia
Daylilies
Columbine
Bleeding Hearts
Lily of the Valley
Astilbe
Lungwort
Yucca
Lavender
Oregano
Sage
Peonies
Lilacs
Horehound
Chives
Bee Balm
Mint

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer & Rabbit Resistant plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here