Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another privacy tree question - with a twist

Posted by shodorov (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 18:46

I live in Brooklyn, NY (zone 6). I just learned that the house that was torn down in the lot diagonally behind mine will be replaced with a 3 story condo unit! so now I need mote privacy then a 6' fence can provide...

My yard is pretty small 40' x 40' so I need a tall tree with somewhat of a wide canopy that starts high up with a thin trunk.

I prefer an evergreen...

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another privacy tree question - with a twist

bump

o

Leylandii cypress are fast growing evergreen conifers that could be limbed up but you'd have to plant several to get wide coverage.

Most shade trees are deciduous and slow growing.

what about some sort of garden structure like a pergola or arbor to block the view from above? Would shade your yard but that might be a good thing.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 2, 06 at 17:23

Possibly evergreen sweetbay (Magnolia virginiana var. australis) would work for you. A landscaper or nursery may be able to get a large specimen through a broker, if there is not one on hand in the area already.

I would say generally deciduous trees are faster than coniferous (and other) evergreens, at least in cold climates. Some broadleaf evergreens in mild climates are very fast, gums (Eucalyptus) being a familiar example where I live, but generally the yards per year growth rates are made by kinds like poplars and willows in the North.

Rather than planting a coarse tree that will overwelm your lot buy a big specimen of a slower, more refined one (like sweetbay).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here