Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradarmi

Not a deer issue, but windy, shady and clay

bradarmi
13 years ago

A quick read of the many posts told me this might be the "what do deer not eat" forum, but my site is really difficult to plant.

We have a new home in a new subdivision in North-Central IL (35 miles SW Chicago) with prairie and corn around us for miles. I have planted (on the South side) ninebarks, peonies, and lilacs and other tough plants that like cold and clay soil and am currently at a loss what to plant on the North side of my house.

I want to plant small trees, shrubs and perennials on the North side becuase that is the entrance to the neighborhood and is quite visible. In order to get more sun, I am thinking of really extending the border out 15-20 feet.

I am a pretty seasoned gardener but am so lost because all my favorites for shade (azaleas, hydrangeas, pieris, Japanesse maples, and the like) absolutely will die in our un-ammended clay and our chilling wind. I do have some clematis on trellises for vertical interest, but the house is 2.5 stories tall and a border of hostas and ferns just looks out of proportion. I am going to start ammending the soil for these plants now, and am in the process of planting a few evergreens 30 feet away as a windbreak, but I am really unsure what to plant in the mean time.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of some native trees and shrubs from woodland conditions, but all I can come up with are redbuds and witch hazaels and I have heard that they may not appreciate the wind either. I do have a ton of perennials that would be fine, I want something larger from 4 to 15 feet tall to give the garden some dimension.

Interested in your recommendations. Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH