Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
North facing/shade foundation gardening

Posted by maigan z6b MD (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 21:20

My house faces North and the front of my house is in desperate need of some landscaping. The entire length of my home is in shade with NO sun hitting it.

Any suggestions as to what I can plant that will survive? My husband just ripped out the evergreen bushes that I did not plant that have been an eyesore for many years. Now the front of my house is barren looking! hehe I simply cannot figure out what to plant that will not only have curb appeal but will grow.
Thanks in advance

Maigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: North facing/shade foundation gardening

I just finished researching shade plants for the north side of my house. Shrubs are hard to come by, but I did find a few interesting plants. I'm in zone 6, so I'm sure most would work in MD. Here's what I dug up:

Yews adapt to shade, come in several shapes and sizes

Summersweet (Clethra alnifolia) 3' to 4' shrub with pink or white flowers.

Winterberry (Ilex verticillata) In the Holly family. Assuming you have a male and female bush, they produce red berries for the winter months.

Ferns - Maidenhair caught my eye, but there are many varieties.

Hostas - take your pick, can't kill 'em.

Ground covers: Myrtle (vinca minor)
Sweet Violet (viola odorata)
Sweet Woodruff (galium odoratum)

Daphne - this one has very pretty foliage

Bee Balm - this one spreads a lot each year

Not a ton to choose from, but it's a start. Hope it helps.

o

Many rhodies (which include azaleas) should do well for you in that situation, and so would Pieris. I can't imagine that bee balm would do well in full shade. Although the front of your house is in full shade, I imagine it's what gardeners call "bright" shade, that is with no other trees shading it and open to a lawn.

o

Enkianthus should also do well, as would dogwoods and viburnums and forsythia, although they wouldn't bloom profusely.

o

In Maryland, in two houses both facing north, I had success with rhododendrons, azaleas, camelias, junipers, boxwood, and Burford hollies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here