Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

Planting along a driveway fence

goodbyekitty
14 years ago

Zone 6 Sunset 3, morning shade against a neighbors fence, hot afternoon sun for about 3 hours before the shade of my house engulfs it.

Will any kind of sun loving/non flowering plant do well here? I'd rather have ornamental grass or sedge in this area. Right now I have Lavendar, coneflowers, a hydrangea and a Rhody here. I planted the Rhody before the fence went up because there were 20 ft evergreens giving it shade for quite a long time in the afternoon.

The coneflowers don't seem to get enough sun and the lavendar I'm surprised are making it. I have to pick out the leaves that fall and decay on it during spring and they just don't look all that happy. As long as I give the hydrangea extra water during the hot afternoon sun, it is quite perky so it's staying. I'm going to find a cute umbrella for the Rhody but everything else is getting transplanted.

It use to be covered in junipers, but my husband and the neighbor decided to pull them all out, including the 20 foot evergreens and put in a fence. What can be planted along a driveway that gets 80% shade and 20% hot scorching afternoon sun?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz