Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melonpocky

Black Walnut Tree-- what does it NOT kill?

melonpocky
16 years ago

Garden n00b here-- my landlord has an amazing back yard, but does absolutely nothing with it. I've taken it upon myself to make something pretty with it.

There is a nice, 15ish foot long expanse of south-facing fence that gets a great amount of sun and would be a perfect place for a garden, except there are two black walnut trees on the western corner, taking up at least 5 feet along that side of the fence. Our neighbor on the north side has noted that she can grow things in her garden, which butts right up to the fence, but as soon as the trees start to drop fruits, leaves, and branches that they kill everything they touch. She sternly warned me not to use the litter from it in my compost.

My question-- what are some plants that have a decent resistance to the black walnut? I plan on doing a mainly veggie garden with a few companion flowers, and I was thinking about something trellised on that fence, but I guess at this point ANYTHING would be nice. Pointers in any direction would be so very helpful :D

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert