Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overtherainbow_gw

Accent Plant Tolerant of Extreme Heat in Evening

overtherainbow
16 years ago

I have a small empty spot at the entrance to my house that pokes out a bit in front of the porch - a spot that has been screaming out for 15 years for an accent piece to draw the eye to the front door area. The soil is somewhat rich flower bedding soil that is on the sandy side. This really would be an idea place for something interesting - to its side would be a long hedge row of Holly that is 3' tall with about a dozen shorter round balls of boxwood undulating along in front of them. It will be under Live Oak trees almost all day long - HOWEVER come about 5 pm in the evening during the hot Texas summer, it will unfortunately receive two hours worth of very intense heat due to direct sunlight. I've tried growing large elephant ears but they balked and died in the sunlight and heat. I'd like to have a year-round, permanent plant - possibly flowering or with interesting leaves. My landscaping also includes a yew tree on the other side of the porch and pink crape myrtle trees softening the corners of my house. Asian Jasmine ground cover is formed into a footprint around the trunks of the Live Oaks. Any suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor