Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need to protect Rose from Bunnies - help

Posted by toomanyanimals 6a/MI (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 6:47

I know it is the Deer Resistant forum, but thought it was the most appropiate forum to post on.

I'm new to Roses. I did a wonderful trade last year for 2 new starts of a climbing rose called New Dawn. Both great starts. But the bunnies have eaten them down to stubs during the winter. They are still alive, but it's like starting from new again. I have one on each side of an arbor and would like them to get BIG.
Question: how do I protect the base of the rose to a height that the bunnies will not be able to get to it? I would like the protection to be pleasant to look at, but will do anything I need to and just plant flowers to hide the base if need be.
I don't need to worry about Deer, I'm in a subdivision.

Would appreciate ANY advice ... don't know if they will survive another winter.

tma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need to protect Rose from Bunnies - help

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 1, 06 at 22:55

Wire netting.

o

I've had much success with pepper wax spray.

o

During the winter, chicken wire will do. For the rest of the year, I would plant chives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here