Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Plant Options

Posted by JubeeBijou Zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 9:55

Hello, I would like to get some advice on the type of plant for containers in a heavily shaded yard with only intermittent sun throughout the day. The soil is very sandy. My yard is full of Live and Water Oaks, which makes for an over abundance of leaves - year around.

I have a screened back porch with a bricked walking path to the pole barn. I have tried planting hostas along the front of the porch, to brighten things up and provide a pretty entryway. I planted 10 of them last spring/summer. Only one is making an attempt to come back. It was very clear last summer that they were not going to make it.

My thought was to place large containers along the front of the porch. I would like some recommendations for plants. I prefer perennials.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Plant Options

The monkey grass or liriope in my yard do well as a decorative grass in the shade. They grow slowly there but each year put out new growth. They are also evergreen in my area (not sure if there is a place that they aren't) so they provide good greenery in the winter.

But if you are going with containers, then your soil type and even dry/wet conditions can be negated and you may be able to plant many shade plants that you weren't able to before.

For flowers, begonias and impatiens come to mind. For succulents, sedums can handle the shade and can be decorative. Sedums can grow year-round in your area and impatiens are pretty good at reseeding.

Purple jew/purple queen also can handle that shaded area and the dark purple color adds a nice touch to the shade.

I also like Mexican petunia, and it should reseed and spread also.

I have also grown canna lilies in the shade. They may not bloom in the shade but I used them for their leaves and hardiness, since I also had trouble with hostas in the same spots. They will definitely spread and keep coming back.

These can be grown directly in the soil or potted up.

This post was edited by gardenper on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 18:09

o
RE: Container Plant Options

I use archangel lamium which is a yellow blooming variety with silvery variegated leaves. It grows in the dark practically, and in poor soil like clay, and its aromatic so the deer will not touch it or other pests. In a pot it would fill in and cascade. The roots are extremely weed suppressing too. We have old oaks in the woods here, not much grows under them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here