Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hinoki cypress

Posted by tonya499 6 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 10:05

I live in Salt Lake City UT where the winters are cold and the summers are seriously hot. I want to plant a hinoki cypress in the foundation flower bed of my north facing home. What are the chances of survival? A little early morning sun, but mostly shade and hot hot hot in the summer. P.S. Japonica pieris fried in this bed and I didn't think you could kill those. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hinoki cypress

• Posted by artdeco 5 - Chicago NWburbs (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 23:49

My area is alittle colder than yours, and I know Hinoki will grow around here, provided it's in the right spot.
I almost bought one last fall at an end of season nursery auction, but I was talked out of doing so. They are such beautiful plants & I really hope to have one someday.

I planned to put it at the northwest corner of our house, but was told it needs full sun or the inside branches & leaves will brown and excessively thin-out. It's not tolerant of harsh cold winds either, and was also warned it would need to be wrapped every winter for a few years in a windy spot.

I think I saw an example of the part-sun browning at a different nursery. A row of smaller potted trees spent the entire summer up next to a row of taller bigger Hinokis, and the plants were dead-looking on their touching sides. I was surprised the nursery hadn't noticed this & spread them out, or at least spun the pots around occasionally. I know they grow slow around here, so they would maybe stay unbalanced-looking for a long time.

o
RE: hinoki cypress

A lawn maintenance crew had planted a Hinoki Cypress in our front foundation bed in a north facing corner that got ZERO sunlight when we first moved in about 15 yrs ago. The tree is definitely still very much alive and it is approx 10' high but thinned out for sure...so clearly not the best place for it. However, we just transplanted it about 2 weeks ago to a mostly southern exposure where it will get at least 6 hrs of sunlight from now on. I took a pic and I'll take another one next year so I can see any possible difference. I don't know how well these trees are supposed to transplant so I guess we'll see. I'm crossing my fingers. It really is a beautiful tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here