Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doubles_gw

Bushy, flowering shade vines

doubles
17 years ago

I want to cover a wire cattle type fence that surrounds the "dog yard". It is almost all shade. Looking for a bushy vine. Perinial to zone 6. Hopefully some flowers.

I already have honeysuckle and jasmine in another part of yard so looking for another option.

Comments (3)

• kitova
    16 years ago

i suggest clematis vines. there are some shade-tolerant ones and the flowers are just beautiful. most are hardy down to zone 3/4.

{{gwi:655391}}

actually my top pick would be sweet autumn clematis, very vigorous, masses of white fragrant flowers in fall (less flowers in shade), climbs up to 20-30 ft, a very aggressive (albeit not invasive) grower. in full sun at maturity:

{{gwi:655393}}

other shade tolerant clematis are listed below:

clematis comtesse de bouchaud (pink flowers in summer)
    clematis etoile violette (purple flowers)
    clematis henryii (huge white flowers as big as your hand)
    clematis nelly moser (white flowers with pink bars)
    clematis kermesina (red flowers)

• rebaru
    16 years ago

i am going to see what happens this summer with adlumnia fungosa - the bleeding heart vine. It is a biennual that (reportedly, hopefully) reseeds. However, this means you need to have 2nd year plants two years in a row to have vines every year. And if you grow them from seed, you need to know that they need at least three months of cold. So don't delay in getting them. I guess my first batch was not out early enough - winter sowing - and so didn't come up till the second spring. Then when i ordered (gardens north) seeds for the next year, i found i had ordered them too late for them to come up this spring..... but the second year plants are growing like mad and beginning to send tendrils around the chain link fence. check the vine out online. it is definitely a shade lover, and supposedly grows really tall in this one season!

• rebaru
    16 years ago

by the way, they are supposed to bloom all summer!

Sponsored