Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are blueberry bushes deer resistant

Posted by Scaly 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 12:40

Are small blueberry bushes (1-2ft tall)deer resistant or will they destroy them? What about rabbits?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are blueberry bushes deer resistant

:) mostly birds, and neighborhood children you never knew existed...

never seen one in a deer- infested area, though- the only ones I know are on domesicated (ie fenced) land.

o

Scaly,

Small blueberry bushes are not deer resistant in heavily populated (by Deer) areas. If you want them to grow using fencing of any kind. If you want to harvest blueberries for your own use, then you need to use netting or chicken wire (poultry fencing (netting)) to keep the birds out.

I have 16 too tall (14'-16') BB bushes (deer browsing lower branches/leaves, they are all about 25 years old (deer didn't used to be a problem), now they are! So, I fenced 8 of them off (for the birds, using 2" by 4" wire mesh - 5' high) and the other 8 (for family consumption by building a framework covered with poultry netting top too! (chicken wire). I am also trying to prune them back ( both sets ) to a reasonable BB size ( about 6') but will have to take my time to do it (too much wood to remove at one time - I won't take out more than 1/3 per year!).

BB's are deer food ( and bird food ), birds are okay! Too many deer around me aren't!!

o

I have about 10 4-5 year old NJ blueberry bushes and deers do not bother them much. Once a while, you'll see some leaves eaten, but we have all kinds of wild life, rabbit, squirrel, fox, racoon, many... The bushes are not fenced.

During fruiting time, I net the bushes. This will prevent the birds get to them. Other animals do not want to mess with the net....

o

I live in a forested area that has many blueberry bushes. The deer do not eat the bushes but do browse on the berries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here