Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

Need entry way plant suggestions :o)

petra_gw
18 years ago

Hi all, we are planning to raise the two small planting strips in our entry way and fill them with really good soil. But what to plant in there?? Last year, we planted lots of Impatiens which did really well, but died back during winter. Just a couple have come back. We'd like Perennials, but something with colorful flowers, not ferns or hosta. This a a difficult spot because the plants will be covered by roof overhangs. I'd really like Lily of the Valley, but that only blooms in spring. We'd like color from spring to frost, if possible. Below are some pics of the area, many thanks for any suggestions.

{{gwi:655403}}

Comments (9)

• Lady_Pennywort
    18 years ago

Hi from a rose forum buddy!
    I have been pondering that same type of problem area with my mom who lives in Houston. We haven't come up with much yet.

Heuchera Lime Rickey would be pretty along side that dark purple plant. But it only flowers in spring...

Good luck!
    Fiwa

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I can't think of a shady perennial that will bloom from spring to frost. There aren't THAT many sun perennials that will perform like that. Annuals are your best bet for that long a season of color.

Have you looked at Japanese Painted Fern 'Ursula's Red'? That has a bit of color. You may want to consider some foliage plants and then a spot of annual color.

Another thing to consider would be a trellis with Akebia (Chocolate) vine to break up that brick wall. It should be evergreen for you.

• pat4750
    18 years ago

What about 2-3 truly wonderful pots - 2 smaller ones to the left of the door and one big one to the right- planted with a lime or yellow coleus, salmon impatiens, purple torenia, and a cascade of lysimachia nummularia don't know its common name)? After frost, you could remove the blackened plants and using the soil in the pots as anchor, "artfully" arrange some greens and some berried branches and string with some small Christmas tree lights.
    As for the area in front of the pots, I'd look around for plants that flower at different times but with great colorful foliage in at leats 3 seasons. Hostas now come in many beautiful colors and color combinations and a few have white flowers that smell like gardenia (usually in August here). Coral bells too, like the 'Lime Rickey' already mentioned, and 'Amber Waves' and 'Marmalade'can add season-long interest. Color from foliage has the advanatge of not having to be deadheaded and not attracting bees and their potential stings.
    Not very helpful flowerwise, but whatever you do have fun with it.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. We are pondering just concreting everything over, and covering it with flagstone. And then maybe adding some potted plants. That might be easier than having to replant every year.

• aztransplant
    18 years ago

To me, it looks kind of strange. Seems like the strips of ground make the entryway look less grand than it could. I would recommend just filling in with concrete. Then you can do containers if you want.

• dogpatchlady
    18 years ago

There's always caladiums. White ones would brighten it up in there and they don't need a lot of sun, don't get real big. I could see it done all in white-blooming plants, like a night garden.

• Dtkaty
    18 years ago

I've got similar issues in my courtyard & I'm debating what to do with it. So far, it's just blah!

Flagstone would look awesome & containers with annuals would be easier than replanting those strips every year.

Two tall slender shrubs to hide the downspouts would frame the entry way & really set off the brick.

• CaseysMom
    18 years ago

I have a similar area and have covered it with oxalis bulbs. (shamrocks) They are pink & white flowers with burgundy foliage. Wonderful all season long interest in the shade. I recently covered the area with cypress mulch and the foliage is not as pretty, but in a few weeks!

I also have these in perennial shade hanging baskets along with variegated vinca vine. They are fabulous!!

• daphnexduck
    18 years ago

What about hardy fuchsias? I have one with varigated foliage (lime green and white) that lights up my shade garden and takes no care except to be cut back a bit once a year.
    Also - please either hang some plants or put some kind of art work on the walls. All that brick and concrete makes it seem like a prison. Some nice lighting would help at night too.

I don't know why you're against ferns and hostas. You could fill your entry with wonderful green perenials and then add just a pot or two of colorful annuals. Easy to change out frequently, and they will sparkle like jewels.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider