Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Getting grass to grow in high traffic areas...

Posted by ktutak South Central MN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 13:32

I need some advice. First some history. We have a nice fenced backyard....also we have 3 young children and a fairly rambunctous dog. We have a large area in our back yard that is just dirt, no grass...partially from getting a concrete patio poured last year and partially from the trafic. You can imagine how muddy it gets back there when it rains, then that mud comes in the house. So we need a solution.

We want to plant some grass or lay some sod to help cover that area...but the main problem is we need to have use of our backyard. So we can't just have it off limits for the summer while the grass takes root...also it would be hard to just block that off as it basically blocks the yard off at the edge of the patio.

So I guess my question is...what is a good grass to plant for high traffic? Is there a fast growing one? Also how long would we have to keep traffic off of it? OR do you think a laying sod and stacking it down woud be a solution?

Any other suggestions for a walkable ground cover (excluding rocks or mulch as the dog digs those up like crazy) would be appreciated.

Help! I am sick of muddy dog and kids!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Getting grass to grow in high traffic areas...

The primary problem with the lack of grass in a high traffic area is that of soil compaction, not in the failure of the turf. Think about it....sports fields (golf courses, football, baseball, soccer, etc.) are always expected to have good turf, right? Those sites are built so that the soil cannot compact AND/OR they are core aerated frequently.

Even luscious sod won't live for very long if the soil is compacted. Plants need oxygen at the roots just as much as they need water.

o

I've heard that 'Mondo grass' grows well for high traffic (I could be wrong), or you could try a nice groundcover such as lemon-scented Thyme (you'll need quite a few of these to cover a large area) and trust me, the kids will love walking over it, cause it releases a yummy lemon fragrance. Also, certain mosses work well, depending on what you like... don't know if that's any help.

o

I had that problem when we moved in into this previous used house, a hight traffic area were everyone cuts to get to the front door its was awfull, we tried seeds no result, bcs people kept walking over it, after a year I decided just to water the bear part in the mornings or evenings when I knew people weren't coming, and slightly sprinkle the rest, I also pulled some of the grown grass from other parts of the lawn and planted a few pices, well that worked for me and that still a traffic area, but I keep watering more the path than the other part of the lawn, and my neighbor accross the st told me the people that reside here before could never get the grass to grow, since I live in a budget that worked for me, hopefully I gv you an idea on what to do now if you have the money I seen on tv theres some kind of grass that even grows on cement good luck to you.

o

TTTF, Turf Type Tall fescue is probably your best bet for the conditions that you described, but it still needs protection while getting established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here