Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deep rooted shrubs-steep slopes

Posted by zver11 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 14:12

I live on steep, 50' deep of dirt hillside(granite below that depth). With new development, most trees are gone and replaced with very shallow rooted vegetation such as grass and impervious surfaces. I am concerned about hillside stability. Would like to plant deep rooted shrubs/small trees as certain key areas to help stabilize soil. Need to be deer resistant. Any suggestions? I have a couple of natural break areas in grass areas due to terracing. These would be good places for the deep rooted plants. Limited max height of about 25' due to need to avoid blocking house views. I haven't seen any resources classifying plants by root depth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deep rooted shrubs-steep slopes

That classification probably doesn't exist because the depth of root systems is pretty uniformly determined by the soil type and soil depth.

You may want to consider focusing your search on 'plants for erosion control' rather than depth of roots. Then, once you develop that list of plants, you can check into deer resistance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here