Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant?

Posted by dominoswrath 5 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 15:03

We just purchased a summer home in northern wisconsin by the Fox River. The soil is somewhat sandy - new to me - I have clayish but decent soil at my year round home.

In the city, I love my yews, arborvitae, annabelle hydrangea, sedums, etc. but I'm having a difficult time deciding how to landscape based on what deer tend to eat and I read these are deer delicacies.

So far I came up with boxwood, japanese barberries and serviceberry shrub/tree.

What else can I plant? I want to be able to mix evergreens in with deciduous.

The house faces south, so I was thinking a low hedge of barberries with angelina sedum at the base for color contrast, but I read deer like sedum.

I also have a special love for hostas, but I don't want to plant a deer garden.

What other options do I have?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant?

Finding things deer won't eat is really hard- in lean times, they will eat just about anything, including things that are poisonous.

But for the most part, I've had them ignore my salvia superbas, lamb's ears, thyme, lavenders, columbines, thalictrum, aconitum, rudbeckias and echinaceas, sempervivums, hardy geraniums, and veronicas. They haven't bothered my sedums, but that could be because there are so many other delicious things like hostas and roses in my yard!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here