Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Groundcover

Posted by babywatson 7A Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 15:18

I need to get a hardy groundcover for a steep slope in my back yard. This area gets mainly shade in the summer, due to large trees, and sun in the winter. The soil in our area is horrible. It's not even red clay. It's more like red rock, and the water tends to run off due to the slope.
Grass doesn't grow well in this area, but some weeds pop up. Some spots are very barren. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Groundcover

You may need to construct planting pockets with some rocks to get things started. Terracing it would help, but would be a larger project. Vinca might work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Shade

o

i don't know about your zone, but in my area, pachysandra is used everywhere for exactly your description. we're trying the same to hold back erosion on a shady bank in our back yard.

also other shady groundcovers that i just put in (b/c i'm bored with pachysandra) are sweet woodruff (white flowers late spring, very pretty), dead nettle, vinca, and sedum (some varieties grow in anything sun shade rock crevices)..

o

A gardening book suggested euphorbia sp. robbaie (Robb's spurge), which it describes as "a real thug of a plant," for spaces where nothing else will survive. I bought some for a dark corner--haven't planted it yet, but it's very pretty. You might put some in and see what happens--but if it shows up at your door demanding money, don't blame me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here