Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How's your fence? (Electric vs. non-electric for deer)

Posted by cedarberry z6RI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 04 at 15:51

Hi all, I need to fence a 1-acre field for my mixed vegetables. What are your experiences with your fences, especially related to white-tailed deer? I am debating between non-electric (8' black plastic mesh) and electric, but think I'd prefer electric (it seems as though it is more effective). How tall is your electric fence? Is it 3D (two fences side by side)? Does it exclude raccoons, rabbits, and/or woodchucks? Other points of consideration with electric are: posts (how's fiberglass for strength and longevity?), solar vs. standard power, etc.

I would like to hear about what has and has not worked for you.

By the way, the deer presence here in RI is heavy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How's your fence? (Electric vs. non-electric for deer)

Heavy, maybe, but I doubt you could beat the deer load in Fairfield Co. CT!

I have an 8' heavy duty mesh fence. Not the thin wimpy stuff. I've had trees fall on it, the trees cut and removed, and the fence pretty much springs back into place. Maybe a bit of tightening of the top lead, but that's it.

Now, some small creature has gotten it, by cutting away small sections along the bottom, but it's easy enough to repair with the hog ringer.

I should note that the fence is attached to trees wherever possible (makes it less visible) and is staked all along the bottom. Before the bottom was staked, the deer did wiggle under. So, technically the fence is about 7.5' tall, since there's the 6" or so staking allowance at the bottom. I was a bit concerned they'd be able to jump it with a heavy snow crust and a lot of snow, but they did not. I think, after awhile, they just gave up on the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here