Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finnintheusa

Plants next to " rain water channel"

FinnInTheUSA
10 years ago

Hi,
have a backyard through which runs a "rain water channel". Sorry if this term is not correct one, but what I mean is that this channel is meant for rain water to flow through my backyard. Backyard does not receive a lot of sunshine i.e. there is quite a many trees.

I would like to plant there right next to this channel some flowers and/or bushes. And I would appreciate any insights into which flowers and/or bushes would be suitable here i.e. ones that do not require a lot of sun and would be fine even if there would occasionally flow rain water. But perhaps this "rain water channel" is not a problem at all here?

Comments (4)

• pat4750
    10 years ago

You might google "rain garden Georgia" to find suggestions for plants that would tolerate shade and occasional flooding.
    Hope some knowledgeable Georgia gardeners can add more assistance. .
    Pat

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Jewel Weed and ferns are among the few plants that like both shade and water.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Itea "Little Henry" is a neat shrub. Has some funky flowers and loves the moist soil. I prune mine a bit, just because. It does sucker a bit, so it will fill in nicely for what you want. Not too tall, not too short. Should get about 2 - 3' and spread about 3'.

Tough plant will tolerate shade (as mine does behind an apple tree). It sucks up the water from the downspout.

Jim

• allen456
    10 years ago

If you're refering to a "dry creek" that channels stormwater through and off of your lot, I have daylillies growing like weeds next to mine.