Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants next to " rain water channel"

Posted by FinnInTheUSA Georgia (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 18:08

Hi,
have a backyard through which runs a "rain water channel". Sorry if this term is not correct one, but what I mean is that this channel is meant for rain water to flow through my backyard. Backyard does not receive a lot of sunshine i.e. there is quite a many trees.

I would like to plant there right next to this channel some flowers and/or bushes. And I would appreciate any insights into which flowers and/or bushes would be suitable here i.e. ones that do not require a lot of sun and would be fine even if there would occasionally flow rain water. But perhaps this "rain water channel" is not a problem at all here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants next to " rain water channel"

You might google "rain garden Georgia" to find suggestions for plants that would tolerate shade and occasional flooding.
Hope some knowledgeable Georgia gardeners can add more assistance. .
Pat

o

Jewel Weed and ferns are among the few plants that like both shade and water.

o

Itea "Little Henry" is a neat shrub. Has some funky flowers and loves the moist soil. I prune mine a bit, just because. It does sucker a bit, so it will fill in nicely for what you want. Not too tall, not too short. Should get about 2 - 3' and spread about 3'.

Tough plant will tolerate shade (as mine does behind an apple tree). It sucks up the water from the downspout.

Jim

o

If you're refering to a "dry creek" that channels stormwater through and off of your lot, I have daylillies growing like weeds next to mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here