Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need 3'-8' potted plants for pool pump sound enclosure

Posted by hikerjohn AL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 18:42

I have a situation where my pool pump is in the corner of the house and a retaining wall. I need to block a good bit of the sound. A stair landing is above the pump. I will soon have blue stone paving in the area because most of it is under a deck. The area where I want these plants is not under a deck and will receive sun until about noon. I'd like to place potted plants at some spacing to close off the pump area. I'd like potted plants because if I don't do plac the stone mentioned above I'll have drainae issues.

I'd like plants that will get up to 6'-8' tall, but not any taller. They need to be bushy because of the sound aspect. Deciduous is fine since I won't need to block off sound in the winter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need 3'-8' potted plants for pool pump sound enclosure

It looks like your in Alabama, so I'm making suggestions that I think will overwinter for you and are fast-growing.

You could use tall canna and other tropicals like colocasia (elephant ears) and hedychium (ginger) since all like moist conditions and grow to 6 feet. If you get a lot of frost in winter, you can move those in a garage or shed to overwinter or cut them back after the first frost and mulch heavily. These work well using a "stock tank" for a big pot. If your ground is moist (and not from salt water pool), you can just grow these in the ground.

Clumping bamboo (fargesia) is another good container plant that grows quickly, but it's a bit more expensive.

Buddleia will probably do fine with a half-day of sun, but they can take the heat of full sun. 'Royal Red' grows very quickly up and wide. 'Pink Delight' is another fast-growing, full buddleia. Those are drought-tolerant.

Ornamental grasses such as panicum and miscanthus varieties will also work, but will have to be cut back in late winter and then regrow. I don't know when you open your pool (we open ours in mid-May).

If you want evergreens (and have no deer problem), arborvitae may work.

For deer-resistant evergreens, try cryptomeria 'Black Dragon' -- some of the cryptomeria can get quite tall (40-60 feet), so look for a variety that fits your height requirement. Those are slow growers, so you can add ornamental grasses to the mix.

I'm sure I can think of many more ideas. These are just a few that come to mind.

Cameron (North Carolina)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here