Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something that is okay with shade and moist soil

Posted by ohrats9 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 18:43

Next to my drive is a little patch of land that bums me out as it's such an eye sore. It is shaded for most of the day (it gets about an hour 1/2 of sun in the early morning) and the soil never really dries out. see that puddle in the picture? That might dry out for a day or two max.

Is there any low maintenance perennials that could handle this type of setting? It can't be anything that will climb up the house and it has to stay under 3'.

Would lily of the valley do well there? I'm kind of into flowers. Do any ferns have flowers? Someone mentioned hostas?

As I am a slightly lazy gardener, I would love something that just eventually dies off and can simply be raked up in the late fall with all the leaves, but propagates and comes back with a vengeance come spring.

I almost forgot! It cannot be toxic in any way. I have dogs that walk down the drive and into the yard to play.

Thanks!

This post was edited by ohrats9 on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 18:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something that is okay with shade and moist soil

You should look into hydrangeas. They love moist, well-draining soil, do well in partial sun or shade, and thrive in zones 4-9. There are many different kinds of hydrangeas resulting in different size plants. I have a beautiful, blue hydrangea in my front yard and I live on a heavily wooded plot of land. Hope this helps!

o

Can you add the photo? If you edit in the preview, you have to re-upload the photo.

o

I put a bunch of bleeding hearts in and called it done because a hundred little ferns poked through after I was done clearing away the top! :)

o

chelone, ligularia, hosta ,petasites, persicaria just to name a few.

o

Ferns are the obvious choice. Many would die in the winter and come back, but none have flowers. (They have a completely different reproductive system that doesn't involve pollen...they actually have spores and sperm that swims down the stalk after a rain.)

Jewel Weed is generally considered a weed, but it has pretty orange flowers and likes both swampy areas and shade. Might get over 3 feet, but not much over. Non-toxic to humans (it has medicinal uses).

Various forms of clover might work, like Trifolium wormskioldii (but it would need mowing). Also some ornamental grasses. (Northern Sea Oats).

o

Astilbe might be a good choice for some fill in color, they like it wet and shady....not sure if they need more than an hour of sun but I think they will do ok in that.

o

Azalea, boxwood, holly, pulmonaria, hosta, astilbe, ferns, hydrangea, dogwood, Jap. maple-not sure what size you are looking for.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here