Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauramich

What vine to try on HOT west-facing 2-story cement block wall?

lauramich
19 years ago

I'm stumped for what to try to grow against this 2-story old slaughterhouse that's now my garage. The cement block wall is a hideous thing to see. But it gets intense sun and is a very dry spot. What on earth can I grow against this wall? A vine? An espalier?

Help!

Laura

Comments (2)

• jkw7aj
    19 years ago

That's a tough one! If it were my property, I'd try putting in a deciduous tree somewhere in front of the wall that is wide canopied, grows medium-fast and stays reasonably dense in limb structure so that it still provides concealment in winter. And I'd probably do it even if it meant tearing up and rerouting a driveway or taking out previous landscaping. I'm not sure I'd recommend that much work and hassle to anyone else though.
    The secondary advantage to the tree is that it shades the wall for further understory planting, so that even if the tree gets too tall later on to conceal the wall, it will shade and cool enough to make a nice shade garden, or at least create an environment that's much friendlier to a shade loving evergreen vine.

You might be able to find a vine that won't bake on the wall, but it will probably need to be at the back of enough other plantings that the soil stays well-shaded so that its roots don't bake too.

Good luck!

• michaelzz
    19 years ago

trumpet vines ,,plant several 3 feet apart and stand back !!

quick growth ..no care necessary,, great flowers and the hummingbirds will love you

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County