Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant? New addition to house.

Posted by kimberly1017 zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 21:09

We have put an addition onto our house. It is right in your face when you pull in our driveway. It is 2 stories and all siding- no windows but a small one- because my husband built it not wanting anyone to see in from the road or front. The back of the addition is ALL windows- overlooking our 3/4 acrepond and woods. I am very upset about the ugly siding. A trellis would not be tall enough to make much difference. My husband says that nothing can be attached to the siding- moisture will get in. Our drive way- gravel and hard rock under- comes right up to this building. And plumbing and other pvc pipes are all around the area in front. I suggested a raised bed. He says no- it will be too wet and seep into the building. It is also a shady side of the house. I guess I could get some big barrels and put poodle evergreens in them? We like a more natural, wild look. Hostas won't grow mainly because we have voles that eat the bulbs. Same with tulips (another issue.)

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant? New addition to house.

Guess your husband never used blinds. How wide is your driveway? I am thinking if there is room to plant say a redbud or similar in a raised bed that will break up the siding from the road. It must look like pulling up to a warehouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o
RE: What to plant? New addition to house.

I know what you mean. The side of our house faces the street, completely unplanted, deer, rabbit predation. And dense woods. DH eventually wants a garage there, so I haven't planted anything. It looks like we just moved in and we've been there 20 years!.

I've been thinking about some decorative paint, like an Amish hex sign painted on the boring siding. It would add some interest. Maybe you can re-post over at the Decorating Forum.

Florrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here