Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marianne57_gw

How far can deer jump?

Marianne57
16 years ago

If I put down a 5 foot wide swath of wire fencing supported 6" off the ground outside of a 5 foot high fence, should that keep the lil' darlings out of my garden? Just wandering how far they can jump. I don't like the looks of the 8 foot fence, besides, they cost a fortune to put up.

Comments (8)

• dadgardens
    16 years ago

I've got a fence similar to the one you describe around most of my yard. It works well, but the deer do jump over it, and crawl under it. The deer herd that used to call my yard home had 20+ members, now I only have to chase out the occassinal singleton or pair.

Deer can easily clear a six foot high fence, but normally won't if they can't see what's on the other side.

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

5 feet? Ha, they can just walk over that. Try at least an eight foot fence, or use a visual barrier of string or wire, that can deter them, or also use a garlic/oil/soap spray around the perimeter. Try everything and anything to keep them away! :)

• Marianne57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm looking for the horizontal distance. I know they can jump vertically about 7 feet.

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Horizontally? Depends on if they are running or not. I've seen them go through and under barb wire fencing that was spaced 1 foot between the wires. They get tangled in it and mess up the wire too. 6 inches off the ground would probably keep them from going under it, but then you may have to worry about groundhogs/raccoons/rabbits/chipmunks/squirrels, etc etc getting in your garden.

• tyhawk
    16 years ago

I have had great luck with Deerout and a motion detecting sprinkler. I bought a motion detecting floodlight and wired in a 24 volt transformer that went to a standard irrigation valve and then to one or more impact sprinkler heads. You can buy a motion detecting sprinkler on line but they are more expensive and less durable than making one. They also dont have lights. Now the deer dont come in my yard even if its off. Im training them I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deerout

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

Deer can easilly jump a 8 foot fence. We had a 8 foot page fence around our house in IL and the little darlings cleared it with no trouble at all. They also ran into it one evening. Knocked the fence out of shape. I thought a car had hit the fence till I saw the deer hair caught in the fence. We figured maybe one got hit or spooked and ran into the fence cause he couldn't see.

• DeerGuy_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Deer can jump only as far as they can jump. If they use spaceshoes they can jump as far as 30' vertically. How do you think Santa's reindeer can fly? Come'on peoples get with it.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH