Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for deck overhang

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 3:47

Our relatively new deck extends over a sloping area. To keep animals out, the area under the floor was enclosed with trellis but the enclosure does not extend to the entire floor area. There is therefore an overhang, about 2 feet deep, which completely shades the 2 feet of lawn which abutts the enclosure. This area is on the north side of the house, and is almost inaccessible by the lawn mower , so it is difficult to keep tidy, and is a haven for weeds. I thought first of laying artificial grass all around, but I am not a fan of anything artificial, so I thought of cultivating the area and adding plants, but I can't think of anything that would grow in such deep shade. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any other suggestion to solve this problem is welcome. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for deck overhang

There are plenty of shade plants (annuals and perennials, even climbing plants to use your trellis) that you could grow there, and along with mulch, should reduce the weed problem.

However, if you don't go for that route, maybe you can also use a weedeater to take care of the weeds and plants that the mower can't get to.

o

How wet is the area? You could plant ferns. You could plant a vine (eg Trumpet Vine) that could climb over the deck to get sunlight, but that can be risky. (Vines can be invasive and bad for houses) Maybe have climbing roses that reach the soil there and climb a trellis above the deck?

o

Thanks for your suggestions. Gerdenper, your idea of using climbers on the trellis is a good one, but the height is only about 3 feet and they may become entwined in the floor of the deck and be a nuisance. The area is north facing and gets very little sun, so I think Ed's suggestion of ferns would be my best bet. I do have some ferns at the back of my shade garden which I could split and once I get them in, they should fill the bill quite nicely. Thanks for your responses. Happy summer everyone!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here