Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suesdeals

Need Long Blooming Flower Deer Wont Eat

suesdeals
15 years ago

What kinds of flowers that are long blooming, that look nice, big, showy, that they wont eat?

I have lots of purple iris to trade if anyone is interested.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (8)

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

This is a list posted previously on GW so search to your hearts content, because you should be able to find plants that will work for you.
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/midatl/2002083026012897.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• florrie2
    15 years ago

I'm interested in the same subject, so I went to the site listed. Many of the plants there are deer buffet items, such as hosta and begonia. I can't grow these things at all!

It sounds like you're looking for an annual, if you want long blooming flowers.

If you're in sun, you can grow cleome and cosmos. The best cosmos I grow is "sensation", about 5 feet tall, plenty of blue, pink and white blossoms. A real knock-out.

If you're in the shade you can try lobelia or mimulus. You can try coleus, deer don't eat that where I live.

Long blooming perennials for shade include Forget-me-not, and hardy geranium (Johnson's Blue). How about hydrangea? They come in all sizes and colors, look nice and the deer don't eat mine.

I also read that you can pee around your plants to keep the deer away. Easier for a man!

Florrie

• DYH
    15 years ago

You'll have to check the zone difference since my experience is in zone 7. However, I have a huge flower garden that the deer don't eat.

(Deer have always eaten my hydrangea.)

Nepeta -- blooms here from late April until frost. I cut back the older blooms and get more.

Homestead Verbena -- low-growing

Tall verbena -- back of border

Salvia -- perennials or annuals

Agastache -- perennial

Snapdragons -- annuals (they are perennials for me)

Osteospermum -- annuals

Nierembergia (cup flower) -- tender perennial or annual

There are many, many more. I write about this topic in my blog. Anytime that I mention "outer garden" or "butterfly garden" that means those plants are outside the fence. There is a herd of 20+ deer who sleep in the meadow just a few feet away from my outer garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening blog

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

Gaillardia 'FanFare' blooms until frost, and all Gaillardias are quite uninteresting to deer.

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

I know they aren't really 'long blooming', but deer don't seem to eat spiderwort, and they leave lambs ears alone (yeah, I know, they don't bloom very long, or do they?)

• diene
    15 years ago

I was recently informed that deer are not interested in columbine, can anyone else verify that? Lots of my neighbors swear by it.
    diene

• DYH
    15 years ago

I have columbine. No munching.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

Deer here eat columbine and spiderwort--Tradescantia. It may help if you use a good deer repellent on every new plant you set out so their first experience with it is terrible.