Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy_z5

Drip Line

Judy_z5
20 years ago

Anyone know what can be planted in the drip line of a roof? When it rains, there is a lot of force because the roof is so steep. It is not practical to put up eves in this one particular spot. The drainage isn't terrific either, so if there is a long period of rain- the "ditch" lays full of water. Thanks in advance. Judy Williams

Comments (10)

• Picassa
    20 years ago

Try this site for an award winnind design dealing with rain runoff. http://www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/010399.html

But their proposal's most striking featureÂspecifically praised by one judgeÂwas its unusual embrace of rain's aesthetic and sensory qualities.

• samiam_AB
    20 years ago

"Gout weed", a variegated groundcover, is what thrives in this space at my house. Beware, though...it's very invasive.
    samiam?AB

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Judy -
    It's most practical to put some sort of non-plant material in these spots - large rounded rocks alongthe impact zone can minimize splatter, and a tough-foliaged plant like Juniper that won't get beaten to death by the overspray.

Having water standing next to the house is bad for the house. Do some sort of drainage ditch to lead the water away from the house as fast as possible.

• wolfe15136
    20 years ago

I am growing pulmonaria under mine. It took some time to establish, but it's doing quite well now. Here is a picture from 2 weeks ago, next to the garage foundation.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:655662}}

• Judy_z5
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I think I got the real "flood problem fixed" now it is just a matter of eliminating the actuall "ditch" that is created at the drip line. I like the idea of the pulmonaria- Wolfe's is beautiful. I think I read somewhere that Spiderwort will work at the drip line also. I was thinking of putting a row of small rocks there also. All good advice- thanks to all who replied. Judy

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

I have spiderworts growing along one side of my house- and they seem particularly content under the leaky section of gutter (which actually lets so much water through none makes it to the downspout) The Irises don't mind it either, but the blossoms don't like it- the spiderwort's little putple trillies don't even blink.

the house next door has a thick old hosta bed in the same strip, and the leaves actually seem to channel the water out into the alley where it can run down to the street.

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

The dripline in front of our house was making a gully.
    I happened to have a lot of the 4 inch thick , decorative cement blocks,that are stood on end for fences.I filled in the trench and layed those blocks along it.The run-off hits the blocks ,and it no longer washes the soil away.
    In the spring I set my peace lillies on the blocks.
    I also have plantings in front of the blocks.I think it looks good...but then I'm not real formal or fancy.
    Part of the planting IS Hosta , the rest is shrubs.(Abelia,spiraea,viburnum and hydrangea)
    Marian

• myrtle18
    20 years ago

everybody around here just puts a big pile of rocks under it

Sandy

• loniesmom
    20 years ago

The idea of a tough shrub like juniper that won't get crushed and will minimize the spatter is excellent - I've got that in one location where mine is a problem. Making certain you don't have any of that water drift back and rest against your foundation below the soil line is really important; the little old lady who lived here before us didn't think so now we have an issue along that wall in the basement :( Your 'ditch' can be treated as a mock pond/bog/wetland/swamp and planted with most plants marketed for ponds. Unless it's a floater it will work in that spot. You could even tailor the height of the plants to accent the lowness at the center and height at the edges like it's a pond that's literally completely filled with plants -- Variegated sweet flag, joe pye weed, bee balm, mint, ostrich fern, ligularia, cattails, marsh marigold, water celery, anything that can be planted from surface to 12" deep (if the ditch's standing water is 12" deep for example).
    Cris