Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Rabbits Eat Potato Plants?

Posted by balsam_girl (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 11:34

Hi,

I have a new garden area dedicated to potatoes. The fence around it should keep deer out, but it's not yet rabbit, hare, or woodchuck proof.

Anybody know how eagerly rabbits and woodchucks will attack the green growing parts of the potato plant? Aren't they in the nightshade family and does that make them resistant to rabbit damage? Or am I just hoping for the impossible?

I can't seem to find this addressed on the internet; only about insect damage to potatoes. I do remember my neighbor years ago had deer eating his potato plants...but then deer seem to eat most ANYTHING! But do rabbits & woodchucks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Rabbits Eat Potato Plants?

Hi,
Yes, rabbits will eat potato leaves, especially young rabbits. They learn what to eat by nibbling everything. I lost a good crop of potatoes until I got a dog and let him loose in the garden. I was also shocked when all of my apricot foxgloves were eaten, stripped right down to the stems. More so if there is a large population and they are hungry. They will eat almost anything. If you google rabbit proof plants, they will list all of the garden flower types that they don't like. Maybe you could companion plant or spray a rabbit repellent on the leaves.

o
RE: Do Rabbits Eat Potato Plants?

Radiantrose

Thanks for the info!

I'll add chickenwire (rabbitwire) around the base of the base of the garden fence. Right now it has a gap under the bottom where rabbits can slip under.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here