Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need privacy for long and narrow area (pics)

Posted by vbunte IN, zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 13:37

We are located in Northwest Indiana, zone 5. Our neighbors have a chainlink fence along our side yard (facing north) which is in shade/partial shade. We NEED to have privacy. They are always having family and friends over and we can't even go outside without feeling like we are in a fishbowl. And there are other issues as well. The problem is that the area is long (about 65ft)and narrow (3 1/2ft) to our gate.

I'd like to use a living screen but privacy fencing is also an option. I have even tossed around the idea of using 2 6'x6' panels and then using shrubs or plants down to the lilac in the corner. I have seen wonderful ideas and beautiful plants/shrubs but they seem to be too large for the narrow area. Here are some pics:

Here is the nice view of our neighbor's yard. It's a rental and he obviously doesn't take care of it. (facing north)

This is the area along the fence toward the back yard (facing east). The lilac is in the corner.

This is the side gate to show the width of the area. (facing west)

Any ideas? Low maintenence would be preferred. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need privacy for long and narrow area (pics)

The area is really too narrow to do much in the way of privacy. I'd put up a fence of the sort that's in the back of the neighbor's yard now. then you can plant as you want and not have to try and plant for privacy in a space too narrow.

o

I can't see the pictures, but what if you put up a series of trellis' and grow an evergreen vine of some sort (evergreen clematis....). I've seen some trellis' that are over 7ft tall. I've posted an example, it is pricey, but you can find them at Walmart or other big box stores for much less.
Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: example

o

Arborvitae can grow 3 feet a year and can be sheared to a width of around 3 feet. They will grow 15 feet tall or you can keep them smaller. They are green all year round. Deer love to eat them tho.

o

Arborvitae would need too much maintenance.

I second the trellis/vine suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here