Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seymoria1

Any flowers for hot, dry situations?

seymoria1
20 years ago

hot means 40 deg celsius, and also very dry.

spotted or marbled foliges will also be appreciated.

thanks

amer

Comments (19)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Check www.desert-tropicals.com for ideas.

They list things that do well in Phoenix, which is quite similar to Pakistan's climate.

• shadeeladee
    20 years ago

Purple coneflower, rudbeckia (goldsterm), and phlox. Last but not least, daylillies of course.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

no dirt, no garden center, no wilderness to raid for local specimens...and, I'm sure, a postal system that was set up by the British Raj a hundred years ago? boy, you DID set yourself a challenge. My experience with desert-scaping is minimal, but agaves come to mind, and sedums, and yuccas-and the 'california poppy' which is used to drought and deluge cycles...you might be able to find seeds in the trading forum (or heck, I'll send you some myself) and the advantage of 'no plants' is 'no pests'...so no need for modern sprays...if you haven't started a compost pile, you might want to think about it, since that may be your only source of compost...most of the plants that COULD survive are native to rotten climates, and don't need much fertilizer.

• rjez
    20 years ago

lantana and lavendar do great in hot areas. Need water to get established but then are very drought tolerant.

Also have rockrose, yellow broom doing well.

• possum888
    20 years ago

oleanders are pretty tough. There are also dwarf varieties butI have only seen them in the salmon pink shade.

• rjez
    20 years ago

oh yeah ... oleanders take anything. They're planted all over the highways here. Yarrow also takes the heat and is drought tolerant.

And come to think of it, so is Agapanthus. I had some that were seriously neglected. They did fine, and bloomed when I remembered to water.

• PPennypacker
    20 years ago

And check with Yuccado Nurseries. Very cool for hot-loving plants.
    Best,
    PP

• adisim
    20 years ago

Maybe gazania, portucala, coreopsis. I have no idea of course if these might be available to you.

• shorty68
    20 years ago

I have an air-conditioning unit. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I can plant around the unit. It blows out hot air. The plants I planted near it last summer were wilted. Bushes, grasses, and plants are all fine.

• PPennypacker
    20 years ago

shorty68,
    If the Bushes, grasses and plants are all fine, then why worry? You seem to have a control on the area now? Maybe I'm not getting the jist of your question? Try again.
    Best,
    PP

• possum888
    20 years ago

Do you know about diosma (coleonema). It's a Sth African bush of 1 to 2 metres with a spicy perfume and small white pink or red flowers.

It was too popular for its own good in Australia. Because it was so hardy a decade ago every 2nd petrol station had the compulsory row of it out the front. As a result the plant style police cast it aside.

Bad move. It's great for hot dry areas.

• LeeAnna
    20 years ago

Wow - you must be a very dedicated gardener, and very patient! Agastaches, Penstemon, and Salvia are plants that come to mind. They love dry and hot weather. Lupines, I think, would do well, too, and come in a variety of colors. All of the plants I've listed are very easy to grow from seed so you might want to see if places like Thompson & Morgan or Chiltern's will deliver to your area. Depending on how cold your winters get, you could have a great cactus garden, too. Try searching for plants that grow in Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico, and check out www.highcountrygardens.com - they specialize in xeric plants.

If you like, e-mail me and I'll save you some seed this summer. I can't guarantee they'll get there with our current political climate, but it's worth a try.

Lee Anna

• Patris
    20 years ago

The mini oleanders also comes in a dk. red, white, and pale pink. Turner's Gardenland in Corpus Christi, Tx. breed these little charmers and they are wonderful once the get established. Very little water to keep em going. We also use Moss Rose here. Will spread like a major ground cover with no water! Good luck on your garden

• wanda
    20 years ago

Here's a few others that I didn't see listed.

Gaura does great in hot dry situations.
    Phygelius (Cape Fuchsia)
    Datura
    Lots of CA natives love hot and dry...CA fuchsia (Epilobium), Ceanothus, Romneya, Eriogonum (ornamental buckwheats..my favorite is E. umbellatum var. sulphureus), Penstemon heterophylla, manzanitas.

• greengodess
    20 years ago

Evening Primrose
    Poppies
    Blue Cornflower
    Sunflowers
    Zulu Prince Daisy
    Feverfew
    Tansy (small flowers w/ large fernlike foliage)
    Moon Flower

• greenfrog
    20 years ago

You might also like to try Gazania, Arctotis or some of the perennial Centaurea. I find they do well in my garden with no water other than our minimal rainfall and they easily survived the 46 degree C day we had last summer.

• Katt_TX
    20 years ago

Cosmos, lantana, moss roses and or/pursulane immediately come to mind. These can all be started from seed, will bloom abundantly and consistently, tolerate less than optimal soil conditions, and require little water once established.

The lantana can will definitely overwinter in your area well, coming back year after year with the proper care.

The cosmos will self sow like crazy and produce tons of seeds you can save.

The moss rose and pursulane seeds can also be collected and saved.

I'm not a big fan of just foliage myself, so no specific recommendations there.

--Katt

• summergirl
    20 years ago

Right now Houston, Texas is hot and dry (and will be for most of August/September)These are the plants that flower and actually thrive during these hot dry months..
    Plumbago
    Esparanza (tecoma stans)
    Rock Rose
    Lantana
    Moss Rose
    Katie Ruelia
    Native passion vine
    Hope these can grow in your area...they do great here in Houston...

• CindyBelleZ6NJ
    20 years ago

Maybe liatris as well?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus