Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
partialshadenative

partial shade, deer resistant, and hopefully native NJ!

partialshadenative
14 years ago

hi all,

Most of the areas we'd like to landscape (shrubs, smallish trees, flowers - perennials) are partial shade, though some with more sun. Our soil has a lot of clay but we'll be adding topsoil. Big deer problems around here. Hoping for native plants to help attract birds, butterflies etc.

Help! We're in central NJ Zone 6.

Comments (2)

• offplumb
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm located in southern ny and have been working on a wildlife garden - heavily influenced by natives for a few years now. Most of my plants are used by pollinators - for nectar, or host. and the birds are quite fond of the fruiting shrubs. I have lots of shade, some deer and in one area black walnut trees (note: not all plants listed below are growing with the walnuts). I'll share what has worked for me:

small to medium trees - both volunteers here:
    Celtis occidentalis hackberry
    Prunus serotina black cherry

shrubbery - these were purchased:
    elderberry (sambucus), lindera - may get a nibble, but not decimated by deer.
    this year I added some ninebark starts. I've read that deer will nibble on these, but they will come back from it . I am also trying some cornus (red twig dogwood). many say the deer like these - I have some low-tech deterrents in place - branches and such. I am hoping they'll be okay until they get a bit larger. There seems to be some conflicting information online as to deer preference for the cornus - time where tell where my plants fit. I was debating these plants for a while, but figured I'd give 'em a shot this year. A somewhat protected Amelanchier (serviceberry) is doing well.
    and the deer seem uninterested in my itea - it is planted up close to the house, tho.

flowers/perennials all volunteers unless otherwise specified:
    Since pulling out the garlic mustard in the area, I have a lot of the native annual jewelweed which the deer do enjoy. I mention it because I suspect they may be more interested in this than things they don't find as tasty. I do tend to pull some of this out as the season progresses - but between the deer and myself, there's still some flowering later on.
    The other annual i welcome (considered weedy to some) is three-seed mercury. deer don't touch this, and it always looks perky.
    other native volunteers for me that may be considered weedy by some - Circaea (enchanters nightshade), geum white avens, white wood aster, viola, virginia knotweed, and sensitive fern. these are the "rabbits" of my garden they are very assertive and help hold down the fort from garlic mustard and other nasties.
    of these, the circaea and asters do get a nibble - but the "pruning" makes for a lusher bloom. I also leave a lot of the poke weed that pops up - this too gets nibbled, but will still bloom and fruit.
    and how can I forget - jack in the pulpit.
    my solomons seal gets nibbled early in it's growth if unprotected (branches placed around it), but the deer seem to leave it alone when larger.
    I also have some deer tongue grass in the sunnier locations - deer leave this alone.
    purchases: milkweed - incarnata, and joepye weed can both take some shade. joe pye gets nibbled a little too, but I get the same results as with the aster - not decimated, just a bushier look.
    native geranium, celandine poppy, christmas fern, bloodroot, cardinal flower, great blue lobelia, Agastache, and echinacea all seem un touched.

vines:
    wild grape, virginia creeper, and poison ivy

I think that about covers it - sorry for being so long-winded, but know what a pain it can be to constantly cross reference shade tolerance and deer resistance lists (I would still recommend checking to see if native to your area).

I would suggest also posting in the native plants forum here. I think you'll get a greater response.
    another suggestion would be wildlifegardeners.org

good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: natives forum / gardenweb

• rsingley
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Unfortunately I have a completely different response than the previous and many of my experiences differ completely from the printed recommendations as well.

In North Jersey, in a heavily deer populated area I've avoided the deer for several years and have had a lush, flowering garden but suddenly they found me.

Plants they've nibbled on:
    Crocosmia, Hydrangea, hardy hibiscus, lilac.

Plants they ignored:
    Spirea, Marigold, Bee Balm(although printed materials say it's a favorite), Butterfly bush, burning bush, catmint.

Plants they love:
    Hosta(obviously), Impatiens(also pretty obvious), Cardinal flower, Sedum autumn joy, Milkweed, Sweet potato vine, Tropical hibiscus, any vegetable plant I have.

I've begun experimenting with spray deterents but don't have many experiences to share. What has definitely worked for me for years is a "scarecrow sprinkler". It's a motion activated sprinkler(cost between $80-100) which was good for my 1 garden, but now I need 4 more to build my perimeter.

Good luck.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks