Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Scare Crow sprinkler, so far it's working!

I've been fighting deer for years, with hair, pee, radios, ETC. Late last season I bought a Scare Crow motion detector sprinkler and they stopped visiting.

I put it out as soon as my plants started emerging this year and nothing has been touched so far, knock on wood. I saw some deer tracks at the other end of the garden one time. But you could tell they left in a hurry!

I didn't get any green beans, okra, or southern peas last year because they kept them topped. Plus they stepped on other things and killed them.

I am looking at another thing though. I planted a bunch of garlic last fall, on the same end that I have the sprinkler. That may be helping too? I read somewhere that it helps.

I also plan to buy a bunch of "stinky" flowers this weekend and plant them in the bare spots.

Comments (12)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Glad to hear another success story. I know people on a street called Deer Crossing. They have used the Scarecrow with fabulous results, while their neighbors gardens get devoured. Recommended to another friend here who has moved into an area full of deer. Did she buy one? Nope. Is she still lamenting plant loss? Yep. Wish I could understand what makes people reject this product.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered another one yesterday so that I can have one on each end of the garden. I have a big garden and want to be sure it is all covered.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Sharing: folks I know who have this said their only problem was squirting the meter readers!! Sharing again: so so glad I don't have deer - yet. They've been spotted very close to me. Dreading the day. Bobcat has been spotted here, the rabbits on the next block are gone.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ rosiew It won't be long then!

I saw my first local deer in 1978. When I told my Dad, he said you just thought you saw a deer! He was a rabbit and coon hunter and had never saw one locally. He didn't believe that a non hunter would spot one first. Other folks laughed when I said that I saw one.

About 2 years later he said I'm glad we have deer here now. Then about 1 year later he said the damn deer are eating everything in my garden!

I have had one hit by a car laying in my front yard and several hit by cars within 100 yards of my house!

• rosiew
    11 years ago

wertach - you were right, at least I think that's what got my ONLY cassia alata from a bed near the street. Too late to start new ones. They're magnificent plants in the fall here. Bracing for more of an onslaught. I've had a blissful seven years here after 20+ years of deer where I lived before.

Sighing, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are still working!

I watched a deer munching on the apples that have fell off Sunday. I didn't bother it since it was helping me out! The trees are too big for them to get the good ones and I didn't have to break my back cleaning up the bad ones.

Beside that I have way too many apples anyway.

It walked towards the garden and the Scare Crow started, I didn't see anything else but a fast moving white tail! LOL

They did get all of my peaches from my small peach tree and some of my nectarines one night. But they are 200' away from the garden.

I'm going to buy another one for the peach and nectarine trees next year.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

I'd love to find some Scarecrows on season-end-clearance. If not, will def buy WHEN I see deer damage.

Wertach,too many apples? Didn't think that possible. Wish we were closer - I'd gather all the fallen ones for you. Do you compost them?

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Wertach,too many apples? Didn't think that possible. Wish we were closer - I'd gather all the fallen ones for you. Do you compost them?"

Yes, I have too many apples! I have 3 huge trees, 2 are Gala and the other one is an unknown variety, it came with the house.

They are too big to spray, so they are blemished. People want organic fruit but they also want them to look like the ones in the grocery store! I can't use all of them and can't even give them away!

A few people at work are in to the total organic thing. I have took perfectly good organic apples to work for years and they wouldn't eat them because of blemishes! No worms or anything, just not "perfect"!

I do compost them, it's a chore since I have to pick them up by hand and fight off the bees. I have plenty of easier things to compost!

I wished you lived close enough too, I only pick them up for compost to keep the diseases down.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been watching closely for a year hoping for a season-end-clearance on Amazon and other places. I haven't found them any cheaper.

• Liz
    11 years ago

Can you tell me how wide an angle the motion detector "sees?" How far the spray extends? I have a little woods I'm trying to renovate, about 40'x 100' oval, and I'm wondering whether I need 2 of these, and where to place them.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't really know "how wide an angle the motion detector "sees?" Sometimes mine just start with nothing that I can see moving. I have mine set on the max setting, it adjusts if you need to control it better.

"How far the spray extends?" About 10' on mine. But I am on a well, if you have public water you will have more pressure and it will spray farther.

I have two, fifty foot apart, protecting a 75' X 150' garden area.

Sorry to be so vague, but I hope this helps!

Sponsored