Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice! Bare Front Yard!

Posted by sananmom Zone 8a San Antonio (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 16:14

I just purchased this home last year and my front yard is in dire need of some curb appeal. I tried planting boxwoods below the front windows but my neighbor from hell lets his dogs run all over my yard and they peed my poor plants to death.
I need ideas for drought and heat tolerant plants, hopefully ones that can survive dog urine. Also, the front of my home gets western sun and it gets really hot out there. I know landscaping isn't cheap but I need affordable ideas.
I put up a pic I got from Google Maps to show you the front of my home. It's a blank canvas so any help or ideas would be so appreciated! I'm open for anything!! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice! Bare Front Yard!

Here's another angle of the front..

o

Do you want bushes (either evergreen or not), flowers, ornamentals, etc?

Did you also want to add anything to the sidewalk area or just by the side of your house?

o

That's where I need help! I'd like to have flowering shrubs next to the garage but that area is shaded, rarely gets any sun. Everyone around this neighborhood has green shrubs next to the garage or in the front and I'd like to do something different.
I would like to have a lot of color and plants of different heights along the front by the windows, but since my neighbors dog likes to use my yard for his bathroom, I'd probably have to put all the plants in containers.... That dog killed the 2 boxwood's I had up front so I had to pull them up...

o

I would talk to the neighbor about his dog. You should be able to plant anything you wish in your own yard. It's your property after all. Leash law comes to mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here