Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch AND plant options around pool

Posted by salandry54 z9Louisiana (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 04 at 18:30

I live in the South -- hot summers and mild winters. Just installed in-ground swimming pool. Have great areas for landscaping around pool. Interested in mulch ideas that will not end up in the pool. Also, interested in any plant ideas for landscaping around the pool -- especially plants that will not shed much. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch AND plant options around pool

We used "river rock", rounded stones averaging 3/4" to 1". It's not mulch, but it's clean and stays put.

o

I am in the same growing conditions as you are, so here goes. Other than some evergreen shrubs, I don't know to many plants that won't shed some in the fall/winter. What kind of look are you wanting? Do you want a living screen of low growing plantings? I think I would scout around other neighborhoods and see what is working for others. And even draw it out on paper before going to the expense of experimenting. Its going to depend on what you like and how much you want to maintain. Check with some of the local nurseries and see what they have to offer in the way of plants. Ask a LOT of questions. As far as some plants go the first that comes to my mind would be Indian Hawthorn or Yaupon Holly. Neither sheds to badly. Perhaps line the pool side with some of those and then go out with other plantings that you like. The shrubs would eventually be a stopping point to some degree for leaves and mulch getting into your pool. And they can take the heat and abuse. As far as mulch perhaps pine straw, or lava rocks or those rocks about the same size as the lava. Hope this helps, trudyjean

o

Railroad vine will cover beds fast to prevent mulch & dirt from making a mess. I like Bird of paradize, Fox tail fern, Gingers, Fishtail palm, short Cavanish Bananas,& Elephant ears.

o

depending on your winters ,, sago palms. yuccas and real palms are great .. they do not shed leaves into the pool , are evergreen and give a great look

also bananas ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here