Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot sun on a rocky slope

Posted by bobcairns Zone 4-5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 19:06

I need suggestions for annuals to plant on a rocky slope facing west. The plants will get burning sun all afternoon. The area is between the sidewalk and the street, under a large Maple tree. The tree provides shade in the morning but not in the afternoon. I would prefer plants that have a trailing habit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot sun on a rocky slope

I have just finished planting lots of canna plants on my
rocky hill, also at the top i put creeping phlox..i think
it will be beautiful next year, you might like to try this, cannas will grow anywhere and since its on a rocky hill, these cannas will keep the land from washing when you dig..patticake

o
RE: Hot sun on a rocky slope

Portulaca is an excellent ground cover for sunny areas and because its a succulent it can withstand drought situation which will apply since it will have to compete with the Maple tree roots for moisture. Also called Moss Rose it gets nice flowers on it throughout the summer and grows 2 inches tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here