Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for formal container plants in shady, small area?

Posted by rjez 9a (rj1350@hotmail.com) on
Wed, May 21, 03 at 19:49

The area is a small porch by the front door. 1-2 hours of morning sun. In large planter. I'd love a formal looking tree but everything needs more sun.

The only plants that have thrived in this area has been clivia and fuschia.

I currently have an australian tree fern which I will need to move. It leans to get more sun.

Does anyone have ideas for something that is formal looking but can take these conditions? I also suspect the air circulation is not great since 2 azalea trees, 2 azaleas and 1 rhododendron have died.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for formal container plants in shady, small area?

Would Boston ferns or boxwood (buxus) work for you? I have Ferns in Urns on a small entry porch (columns) out front, and a boxwood in another urn at the bottom. In my zone, the ferns can't take the winter, but the boxwood does well in it's container. How would these do in your zone?

o

Thanks Cynthia ... those should do well.

o

I too am having a problem putting something in a large stone pot on a north facing side of my garage. I live in the Las Vegas area so summers are hot and dry but I get very little sun in the late afternoon on that north facing wall.
I need some suggestions for a plant that will grow about 3 to 4 feet tall in that pot. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here