Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screen planting

Posted by mswart z4 NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 03 at 21:35

I have a wonderful row of very mature pine trees in my back yard that provides a very good screen - unfortunately, the lower branches of these trees have thinned naturally and I need some plants that would fill in that space - 5-8 feet would be fine - the pines are @ 40 ft and very healthy. What would grow in such a spot? Michael Swart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screen planting

I have been using blueberries: do you have enough sun in that spot?

o

• Posted by Keli z5 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 03 at 6:17

I have a large shade garden under pines. The best piece of advice I can give you is to AMMEND THE SOIL before you start planting anything. The pines spent years sucking all the nutrients out and you'll need you replace them if you want to grow plants under there. You'll also need to keep the bed watered on a consistent basis. The pines act as an umbrella when it rains, and most shade plants need to be kept moist.

That said, most shade plants will tolerate acidic soil. Check out this link for a list of plants I have under my pines...

Here is a link that might be useful: Thoughts on plant placement (big project)

o

All above advice is VERY sound - arbovitae, juniper, holly or yew to maintain your privacy. Rhododendrons may be good but you'll need to give them a big helping hand to get established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here