Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sethgro

Yew - Hicksi: How 'low' and 'thin' can you go??

Sethgro
20 years ago

First time for me to post, but am hoping for some wisdom via the web for a question that I have about my perennial bed. Bed is located in the sunniest part of my yard on the south side of my lot. Gets sun from 12pm until 7pm during the summer. My lot is separated from my neighbor with a black rubber coated chain link fence (5ft). Fence has to stay but I don't want to look at it any more. Sun angle is slightly favoring the neighbor's side of the fence so my flowers aim a little away from someone viewing the garden. Considering something that can either cover the fence entirely such as an Ivy or planting Yew Hicksi. Have two concerns really (1) will the ivy's pretty side face my neighbor's yard where the sun angle encourages growth, and, thus, will I be left with the dirty/rough under-side of the ivy??? and (2) Can I train/trim Yew Hicksi (or some other better Yew that I don't know about) so that it grows and stays around 5ft tall and only 1-2ft wide (don't want it to smother my russian sage!). Would appreciate any assistance on these two issues.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists