Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pyrocantha growth habit

Posted by miamimary (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 22:15

I am helping my sister landscape her northern Kentucky (zone 6)yard. She is on a steep hill. Her front yard, which is north facing toward the Ohio river, is a parking pad and an eight foot decorative block retaining wall in rosy brown tones. It looks like a fortress - monolithic and imposing. I'd like to soften it with a cascading plant. My first choice would be pyrocantha with a orange-red berry in winter. Can it be trained to grow DOWNWARD? The pavement comes right up to the wall so no place to plant it at the base of the wall.

Climbing Hydrangia was suggested but is at best a second choice. It seems too delicate and out of character for this facade but it can be trained to grow downward. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pyrocantha growth habit

Although pyrocantha could be trained to the growth habit you want, it will take alot of work to get it going and constant maintenance. If it is planted at the top of the wall, by the time the limb gets long enough to bend over and down the wall, it is going to be about 3/4 inch thick, which is going to take masonry eye-bolts and heavy wire to hold in place. And once you get it there, it is going to keep trying to grow back upwards, hence the constant work to keep it looking good.

Have you thought about Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy. Both are native vines that have good fall color. The Virginia Creeper has a finer texture than the boston ivy. Some english ivy thrown in to provide winter green would be nice too. Because these are vines, they will be easier to train down the wall.

What you are trying to do with the firethorn is a form of espalier; you may want to look that up to see what is involed in making a plant defy it's natural growth habit.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Ivy-Wikipedia

o

Cotoneaster dammeri will grow down a wall without training if planted along the top. Same family as Pyracantha (Rosaceae) evergreen with little white flowers and berries, though not as spectacular as Pyracantha.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotoneaster dammeri

o

yes, I would second cotoneaster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here