Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Cover Suggestions?

Posted by chezmoose z4 Northern MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 04 at 7:36

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions to separate our lawn from the "natural" area in front of it. Currently my husband tills a strip between the lawn and the weeds, ferns, wild raspberries, etc. I was thinking if I planted a ground cover along that strip it might help keep the weeds fron encroaching on the lawn and be lower maintenance. The area is approx. 12-18" wide by 70 or 80 ft. long and gets plenty of mid-day sun, but is shaded in the morning and evening.

Any suggestions? Hardscape suggestions welcome too.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Cover Suggestions?

chezmoose -
What about Ceratostigma plumbaginoides or common name Leadwort?
I love this groundcover. New growth late in Spring, an evergreen (so you'll have a demarcation), gorgeous red tinged foliage through the season, then in late Fall bright blue flowers. Good in drought too.
Check on it, and see what you think. Let us know.
Best,
PP

o

Thanks PP, this is really neat! I like the fact that it changes looks throughout the season, keeps it interesting. Most of the articles I found said either Zone 5 or 6 though. We do get lots of snow, maybe that would help keep it insulated? What do you think?
Definitely worth looking into, thanks!
chezmoose

o

chezm -
Where is this "strip" in relation to the warm foundation of the house? Any mulching would help, but I'll check on this and get back to you. OK? I think it would look beautiful!
Best,
PP

o

It's not too close to the house, maybe 40-50 ft. away. I do have access to lots of pine boughs I could layer over it in the winter if that would help protect it. Also, we are pretty well protected by the woods on 3 sides, so when the snow comes, it usually stays til April or so!

I appreciate your help!
chezmoose

o

I think that would be just great! Keep me posted as to the results!
Best,
PP

o
Forgot to mention

Grows well in dry shade too and is said to be a good Butterfly plant.
Best,
PP

o

I love this plumbago. Very attractive & not a plant that many people have - at least that I know.

o

you could try a no-mow grass mix. its really a misnomer, because its slow grow grass mix of fine fescues that are fringe like and quite lovely when left to grow. you might have to mow it a little, a couple times a year but it makes a nice transition between lawn and tall grass or lawn and woodlands. it likes shade or part sun. not great in full sun. i order mine from prairienursery.com but i'm sure other nurserys have similar mixes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here