Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bed of Nails

Posted by Carmellia z 4 Minn (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 05 at 9:26

I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails" at a plant swap. I've tried to find out something - anything - about this plant and have come up dry. It looks like something that might be useful for anyone who has a problem with deer.

What I have is a seedling, only 2" high. It has five leaves on it so far and they are each about 2" long and 1" wide, roughly shaped like a poinsettia leaf. The center vein running down each leaf has thumbtack-like projections coming out all the way down the vein, both front and back. the stem also has these thorny projections coming out. All in all, the thing looks like a meat eater to me.

I hesitate to plant it in the ground and encourage it until I know that I am not going to end up with some vicious plant that is too thorny to pull out and dispose of once it gets some size on it. Has anyone ever seen a plant like this or heard of "Bed of Nails"? Carmellia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bed of Nails

Google is a wonderful thing! Is this it?

Here is a link that might be useful: bed of nails

o

Thanks a bunch for the plant identification. It's a big hummer, isn't it? I suppose it will not get as big here in Minnesota's shorter growing season. I will give it a place at the very back of the garden and then save seeds from it if I like the way it grows. It certainly will be a conversation piece! Carmellia

o

The fruits are deliciousin Central America they are known as naranjilla. I've overwintered one in a container for the past couple of years, though at the moment it's looking a little, um, stressed. I never knew it was called "bed of nails!"

o

Just came across this old posting when I was doing an internet search for bed of nails plant. The bed of nails plant really is a naranjilla, but it is a totally different one. I would say it's a subspecies.
The ones I'm growing out are more spiny than any naranjilla I've ever been able to obtain, larger spines and more of them. The fruit on these are much smaller than the typical naranjilla, which I have grown out before, and not as juicy and more seedy, less flavorful. Not really good to eat like lulo or naranjilla.
My plant got to be about 4 feet tall and about the same width in a single summer, and you sure don't want to run into it! I'm currently overwintering it in the greenhouse and it's right inside the door, not exactly a friendly welcome to the greenhouse, but it does get your attention.
It was kind of difficult to put in there, we broke off a little bit of it moving it with the hand truck, but there was no good way to get a grip on it. Link to picture of my plant below.

Here is a link that might be useful: bed of nails plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here