Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

West wall, quick shade? Help please!

eclecticcottage
10 years ago

Our house is a dark color, and I'd like to grow something to provide some shade on the west facing wall to help keep it cooler inside.

Whatever it is, it needs to play nice with the blueberry bushes we just planted (only about 2' tall, so still small) that will be about 3-4' away. It will need to go between the house and the blueberries because a) we don't want to shade the blueberries and b) much futher to the "outside" of the blueberries and we'd be on the neighbor's property. Eventually the blueberries will grow 4-6' tall, so there will be shade on the bottom half of whatever it is. It can't be something that wants to invade the siding like a wisteria or ivy. It needs to like full sun and be able to handle the heat from the siding reflecting back also. No evergreens, we are happy with the solar gain in winter, just not in the summer! It will also need to be able to handle winds, since we are between open farm fields and Lake Ontario, we get wholloped pretty well a few times per spring/summer and a lot during the winter. 30-40mph isn't unusual.

Open to perennials (zone 6 hardy), vines, roses or annuals that will reseed. Whatever it is, it will also need to grow tall, I'd say at least 8-10'.

I imagine most shrubs are out because of the proximity of the blueberries and the house-we have a weigelia that I trim a few times a year to keep it from scratching the heck out of the siding (it's been here a lot longer than we have, so I'm not partial to removing it-besides it does help some with shading a part of that side of the house).

I'm thinking probably a vine, but I am nervous about it wanting to get behind the siding (my grandparents fought an invading wisteria vine on their house, I'd like not to repeat that on mine).

I've tried to find out about the coral honeysuckles like Major Wheeler, but haven't found anything "yay or nay" as to it's wanting to do that or not. I also considered a climbing rose like Blaze (improved) but I honestly don't know how fast they grow, or if they grow thick enough to really provide shade. I also considered Clematis, but I don't know if they will grow big enough (wide enough) to be very effective either-unless I planted a number of them.

The area is in two sections on each side of a window, one is about 4-5' wide and the other is 7-8'. I don't mind planting a few vines or roses, or multiple plants.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz