Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alertmedic

difficulty getting ligustrums to grow in shade

alertmedic
17 years ago

I planted 4 ligustrums in my front two planters but one side of the beds gets more shade than the other. The two ligustrums I planted aren't really thriving at all but the other two do great...like tripple the size of the others. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get these two 'runt' plants to grow better in the shade?

Comments (2)

• shirley09
    17 years ago

Dear Alert:

I don't know what sort of soil you have in beautiful North Carolina, but I know you have SUN, just like ours. The lack of sun on ligustrums (we sometimes call them DISgust-rums) would seem to me to be the problem and there's nothing other than pruning tree limbs overhead or moving them to alter that. There is no substitute for sunlight.
    The fact is, I've never seen ligustrums planted anywhere except in the ground. They get to be at least 15-18 ft tall and 6 ft wide in San Antonio. A shrub more suited to your site and light conditions might be a better choice.
    I'd try Dwarf Yaupon Holly. Good luck!

• eldo1960
    17 years ago

ligustrums have to have at least 6 hours of sun to do well. Nothing else you can do can make up for the fact that they will not thrive in the shade.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living