Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hide Green Utility Boxes

Posted by bobby1973 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 14:51

Hi folks - I moved into a newly constructed home a few months ago and I'm currently implementing foundation plant material. Out of the 4 homes in my culdesac, I got stuck with those ugly green utility boxes on my property. So I'm thinking of landscaping ideas that would help obscure the boxes. The one idea that I came up with would be to create a bed that incorporates the existing Dogwood tree as shown in the photo. I'm thought Blue Oats Grass Sapphire (an evergreen in my area) would be a good filler for that bed. But for some reason, there's something that bothers me about this design solution. I just pinpoint what it is. Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
bobby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hide Green Utility Boxes

I have seen a similar situation like that with some kind of flowering bush next to the utility box. It's still there but your attention is drawn by the leaves and flowers instead of the box. The particular case I saw used an oleander bush, but you could use other flowering type.

o
RE: Hide Green Utility Boxes

You could install a trellis on two sides of the utility box, and run it back toward the dogwood to build continuity with the garden bed. You'd have to keep it several inches away from the box for safety, but you could grow quite a few different things. For your zone, I think some of the ornamental sweet potato vines are gorgeous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here