Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gseeger_gw

please help with my deer spray

gseeger
13 years ago

I live in central NJ with a giant deer problem... I have tried EVERY spray available.... I think I found THE Solution, but the recipe needs some work..We are smart people, we should be able to figure this out.... Let me say that I needed a solution that stays on when it rains, and hopefully teach the deer to stay away from the plants.... before you laugh, I have had 100% success with raspberry plants....they ate them to the ground for two years...they never touch them now..The price of these sprays is ridiculous, so mine had to be cheap to make. And I don't want to spray it every week

After tying every combination I think I found one that works.... egg based, garlic based, pepper based.tried them all..I decided as an experiment to step up pepper sauce....I have been mixing hot sauce with insecticidal soap.... tobasco, ate it, chilli oil, ate it, but it stayed on for a longer while...so I really kicked it up a notch...i bought some hot sauce on the web that is half a million scoville units...I know I will get some grief from the animal lovers but I tasted it and it is hot but not that bad..made two gallons of insecticidal soap put in one to two ounces of the hot sauce.....Sprayed the raspberries pretty requlary before they set fruit...after fruit set I had to stop (noone wants spicy rassies) the deer come through (all the time) and pass them right by with no protection...

Here is where I need help is there anything better than the soap to use.....olive oil? plant shine?

In a perfect world it would stay on for a long time. I am thinking about evergreens in winter... If they go after new growth (that has not been sprayed) and the bite a lower leaf..... meal over....

I am an engineer by shooling and I just want to find a solution that doesn't cost a fortune while I save up for a fence...appreciate any help

Comments (4)

• fishingardner
    13 years ago

I live in the Ozarks surrounded by deer. There is no way they can be kept at bay with sprays and what have you in that vein. They adapt to everything. Only thing I have had that will stop them on a individual basis is a 410ga shotgun. Used on there rump with a target load it will not penatrate or otherwise damage the deer. The sting however make a life long lasting impression that in some way is communcated to the herd by the target deer. I had held the locale herd in fear of entering my area for 2 yrs, But have had to teach a couple bucks that I think wondered in from another area. I have heard they have a strong dislike for paint ball guns as well. Since I am shooting through light brush a lot of the time a paint ball gun will not work.

• gseeger
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks fishgardener the only evidence I can give you is my rasberry plants...the don't near them...Don't get me wrong. I would love to see NJ open up hunting or loosen the gun laws.... I am from Texas and there are no deer in the town where I am from because it would end up as someones dinner.

How much creedance do you put into "communicating to the herd". I need to do more research, but I do know that deer remember loacations where they are hunted

• fishingardner
    13 years ago

I put a lot of creedance in it. They do make small sounds and to be truthful with you I would not be surprised if there or other things that man has not discovered yet.

• coxy
    13 years ago

I'm almost afraid to say this because I don't want to jinx myself. I, too, live in central N.J. where deer are a HUGE problem. After 20 years I think I have found a combination of things that are working. Although it is relatively expensive, Liquid Fence combined with 2 Bird-X units and I have not had one deer (that I've seen) in about 6 weeks. I think the true test is that when Home Depot had a sale on hosta, I bought about 60 of them and not one has been touched. Since I started using these 2 methods at the same time I can't say if one is more effective than the other and I am spraying once a week even tho the LF directions state that it is unnecessary after the first 2 weekly sprayings. It only takes me about 30 minutes and is well worth my time and $$ to be deer free. I've seen herds of them right next door too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH