Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppermint oil to repel deer?

Posted by ChateauClubcrest sw ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 05 at 22:19

I read somewhere that peppermint oil sprayed on plants will also help repel deer. Has anyone tried this? Where does one buy peppermint oil? Surely there is an alternative to the ultra pricey essential oils in the health food store.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppermint oil to repel deer?

Have not heard of peppermint oil as a deer repellant,but there sure are a bundle of other products out there. Is there any reason you want to use peppermint oil?

o
RE: Peppermint oil to repel deer?

Well that would certainly give the deer minty fresh breath...: ) sorry-I don't know about the peppermint oil-that sounds like it would be very expensive if you have alot of plants. If you would consider other repellant ideas, I make a simple one from water and eggs. I can make several gallons from just one egg. I mix it in a 2 gallon jug and let it sit just a couple days-the longer it sits the more concentrated it is. The mixture smells....well.. rotten, until it dries then I just reapply after each rainfall...we're having a drought so I haven't done that in weeks but just to make sure I still apply it. I have intact hostas and hydrangeas,two of the most sought after salad greens for deer and I live on the border of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park if that tells you anything.We get deer.
My neighbor has daylilies that are chomped to the stem but mine just 20 feet away are intact. Need I say more? It's cheap;it works.

~Babs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here