burry
15 years ago

Are these plants pretty deer-resistant?

--daisies

--dahlias

--hydrangia

--sedum

--coreopsis

Thanks for your input. I have an "outer" garden where I have to be pretty careful of deer and would like to plant these plants there if possible.

Comments (10)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

All are pretty attractive to deer, especially Hydrangeas, daisies, sedums, and, often, coreopsis. Not sure about dahlias but I'd say deer would like them.

Highly deer resistant perennial for sun include Perovskia (russian sage), all ornamental grasses, irises of all types, Belamcanda and Pardancanda, Agastaches, Calaminthas, Caryopteris (both sub-shrub and perennial types), Penstemons, Stachys (all species), Peonies, Gaillardias, Malva alcea fastigiata, Salvias, Verbascums, Leadwort, some Geraniums (G. maccrorhizum and its hybrids, including 'Biokovo' and 'Karmina'), Acanthus, Artemisias, Achilleas. This is by no means a complete list, but it should get you started.

• jvelo18
    15 years ago

Out of your list, I've only had the deer eat the hydrangeas.
    But of course, when they're hungry they will try anything.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I have had deer eat daisies, sedum, and hydrangea. I've not had them eat the 'Zagreb', 'Moonbeam' nor 'Creme Brulee' coreopsis. I've had "something" eat the older varieties of coreopsis, but can't say for sure it was deer.

I also have a large "outer garden" (outside my fence) that is deer resistant. I have so much more information in my blog that would take forever to write here, so please go look at my blog and click on the Index to Topics link on deer resistance update to see all of my entries specific to deer.

Don't worry---it can be done with plants that aren't exotic/expense or difficult to find. My garden is certified as a NWF Backyard Habitat and a Monarch Waystation, so you can grow plants to attract hummingbirds/other birds and butterflies.

Cameron (in North Carolina)

My outer garden in mid-July:

{{gwi:656643}}

{{gwi:267814}}
    {{gwi:259981}}

{{gwi:656647}}

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog about deer resistant gardening

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Of those plants listed, my deer have only munched on Hydrangea and Sedum. The only daisy I grow is L. 'Becky', and they've never touched her. The deer universally love the upright Sedums, but seem to pick and choose which groundcover Sedums are on the buffet. They love Sedum sieboldii. They only occasionally munch Sedum rupestre, and I've never had them eat any of the Sedum spurium cultivars.

• tina_2
    15 years ago

Hi - Iris plants are deer resistant. tina_2

• suzeprich
    15 years ago

The only thing they haven't tried of mine is Lamb's Ear. The kind with medium sized leaves and a tall pink flower. I am not sure what the Latin name is, so you may have mentioned that already.

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Laceyvail, that's a good list. Burry, you should google "deer resistant plants'. You can compile your own list and those posted are from personal experience or research. Good reading.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

I've never had any of the many deer coming through my yard pay any attention to dahlias or any of the Veronicas, coral bells, dianthus, ferns, gypsophylia, or cranesbill geraniums in addition to plants mentioned in above replies. Monarda is supposed to be resistant, too, but for some reason, I just can't grow it.

As an aside, flowering annuals seem to be reliably resistant; more work adding them here and there every season, but the common ones I use - petunias, zonal geraniums, statice, impatiens, osteospermum, Bells of Ireland, nasturtiums, alyssum, hybrid verbena... never get touched by any hungry pest.

• chere
    15 years ago

My dahlias are only two inches tall because of the deer eating them. They have never touched my shasta daisies.

Chere

• jxa44
    15 years ago

I realize i'm late chiming in here, but it all depends on your area and your deer. the deer in my area don't eat daisies or coreopsis (or most "daisy flowered" plants, gallardia, etc.) -- i live in northern california.

what has really helped me pick plants that are deer resistent in my garden has been my local nursery. they have a listing of plants that have been deer resistent for other gardeners in my area -- and that has helped tremendously.

Sponsored