Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forsythias in shade?

Posted by rudysmallfry z6/CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 04 at 10:36

Just wanted to know if Forsythias will grow in shade. The shade is being provided by three large Sugar Maples. A little bit of filtered light gets down there, but not much. I want something wild looking with an elaborate root system to prevent any chance of soil errosion since the area borders a marsh. If not Forsythias, I'm open to suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forsythias in shade?

I have some growing in containers in shade. They are pretty neglected - last summer, I just stuck some good-sized sprouts in pots to temporarily mask the AC unit - and they leafed out again this year. Not sure if it's the same for everybody, but in my yard, forsythia is almost a weed - seems to sprout and thrive anywhere it lands.

o

I have some forsythias growing happily beneath a huge sugar maple and three oak trees. I'd say definitely go for it - they're in deep shade with almost no sunlight at all.

o

It's been my experience that they will grow in shade, but don't bloom.

o

i have lots of 70+ year old forsynthias that have been shaded over the years

they are very effective for erosion and nothing eats them. nothing kills them

they bloom but not as heavily as those in the sun

it would be a good , fairly cheap plant to choose

o

I have several 4 year old cuttings (now over 5 ft tall) under oak and maple on heavily wooded lot. They get the early spring sun before all the leaves come back and bloom wonderfully. During the summer they thrive. Had I listened to anyone about forsythia in shade, I wouldn't have cuttings from my husband's childhood home. Moral: don't always listen to everything that is preached, try it for yourself! Suz

o

good advice ! be it about plants ,,or people !!!

o

It's hard to find a spot where Forsythia won't grow and spread like a weed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here