Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollies for screening?

Posted by gam00 z6b NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 03 at 10:37

I planted a row of hollies for screening on the northeast corner of my property 2-3 years ago but instead of growing into a screen I find I am loosing branches every year to winter damage. The corner is unprotected and a lot windier than I thought. I have blue hollies there now but am looking for a holly that can tolerate being in an unprotected location (zone6 northern NJ). Any suggestions? I'ld like to stay with hollies but also like all broadleaf evergreens.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollies for screening?

Maybe 'China Girl' Holly will do better. How high do you want this screen?

o

They are ok, but I used barberries. They hate them. They dont even get near them.
Good luck
Mike

o

Thanks for the replies. I want a 6' screen in the area. I'ld like something I can keep at that height without constant trimming. Prefer a natural looking screen to a trimmed boxy look.

o

I can't really suggest an alternative, but just wanted to say that I also planted a holly hedge several years ago. If I'd known at the time how incredibly slow growing they are I would have chosen something else, still I suppose it will be worth the wait eventually.

Daniel

o

I'm looking for a fast-growing evergreen shrub for privacy screening. It also must be able to withstand partial shade (at least in summer).

Is the yew still an option?

o

Yews in partial shade work great..just remember that they need occasional trimming to maintain a nice shape.

As for as the original question about hollies for screening, you can probably forget that in these parts. As you are finding out they need some protection from the winter winds. The blues and the chinas grow really slow, so even if they liked the spot, they wouldn't give you good screening for a long time. How about arborvitae... a short version. There is one on the market in the 6-8' range. I think the variety is Smaagard or something like that. It's a pretty grower.

o

ohiogdnr:
thanks for the information about yews.
And given the slow growth of hollies (I just bought Blues and Chinas) I'm giving up the idea of screening.

I just discovered this garden web a few weeks ago and I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Every forum has such great information!
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here